Early Childhood Programs
Lancaster ISD offers free half-day PreK3, in either an AM or PM session, for eligible students who are age 3 on or before September 1st of the current school year. For a small fee, parents/guardians can elect for their enrolled PreK3 student to attend the other half of the day in order to provide students with an all-day PreK3 experience. The cost of full-day PreK3 is $50 per week; payment is due at least one week in advance. Students will be withdrawn form the paid half of the school day if payment is delinquent.
Lancaster ISD offers free full-day PreK4 for eligible students who are age 4 on or before September 1st of the current school year. Our Head Start Program is designed to help eligible 4 year old children and families of Lancaster ISD with high quality educational, nutritional, medical, dental, mental health, disability and other services through strong partnerships that promote success through school readiness and family strengthening. Lancaster ISD offers both PreK4 as well as a Head Start option for our 4 year old students.
Lancaster ISD and Head Start of Greater Dallas have a partnership to provide additional educational services to identified PreKindergarten classrooms throughout the district. This agreement provides additional training for teachers, classroom supplies/materials, classroom support, and health/social services for families of Head Start students.
Students enrolled in the Head Start Program must first meet the eligibility requirements for Lancaster ISD PreK Program and Head Start before enrolling in the district’s Head Start program.
Head Start Only
1. Your child must be 4 years old on or before September 1st of the current school year
2. Your child must be:
- Income eligible or
- Homeless or
- Currently receiving TANF or SSI benefits, or
- Your child may have a special need/disability diagnosed by Lancaster ISD Special Education Department.
Lancaster ISD PreKindergarten Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for enrollment in a PreK class, a child must be 3 or 4 years of age on or before September 1st of the current school year and must meet one of the following requirements:
1. be unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
2. be educationally disadvantaged
7.2.3 PK Eligibility Based on Being Educationally Disadvantaged (Eligible for the NSLP); or (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program [NSLP];
3. be homeless; or
4. be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
5. be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
6. have ever been in the conservatorship of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) (foster care) following an adversary hearing.
7. is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as:
a. a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code;
b. a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or
c. an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.
Once a student is determined to be eligible for PreK, the student remains eligible for the remainder of the current school year in the district in which he or she resides or is otherwise entitled to attend for Foundation School Program benefits.
The following documents are required for registration:
1. Child’s Birth Certificate (must be certified copy)
2. Child’s Social Security Card
3. Child’s Current Immunization Records
4. Proof of Residency (current utility bill – water, gas, or electricity only)
5. Proof of Income (current 1040 Tax Return or other verification)
6. Driver’s License or Photo ID
7. Military Documentation, if applicable (Pre-K only)
Head Start and PreK Eligibility Requirements
PreK and Head Start have income eligibility requirements. Contact your campus principal, email email@example.com, or call (972) 218-1400 for more information.